Under Azadi Ka Amrut Mahotsav (AKAM) – Rise Foundation in association ONGC Videsh with Govt School of Delhi Created a Tiny Urban Forest in West Vinod Nagar , New Delhi -92 using Miyawaki Method.
Project Details :
- Size of Area : 600 Sq ft
- Saplings : 120
- Location : Rajkiya Sarvodaya Kanya//Bal Vidyala, West Vinod Nagar, ND-92
- Date : 1st Dec 2021
Schedule of Activities :
- Selection of Plants : Native trees of the region are identified and got the 120 saplings from Park & Garden Society Nursery at ITO (New Delhi). Neem, Jamun, Sehjan, Kaner, Gudhal, Anar, Karonda, Bamboo, Bel Patra, Mando, Mogra, Ratrani and Shami plants are selected for plantation.
- Soil Preparation : After that, The quality of soil is analysed and biomass is mixed with it. Biomass mixing help to enhance the perforation capacity, water retention capacity, and nutrients.
- A mound is built with the soil and the seeds are planted at a very high density. Furthermore, the ground is covered with a thick layer of mulch.
- Multi-layered saplings are planted close to each other. This blocks sunlight from reaching the ground and prevents weeds from growing. It also keeps the soil moist.
- The close cropping also ensures that the plants receive sunlight only from the top. It enables them to grow upwards rather than sideways.
Benefits of Miyawaki Method:
- Faster Process and Dense Forest: This method creates mini forests. They grow 10 times faster and become 30 times denser and 100 times more biodiverse than those planted through conventional methods.
- Faster Regeneration of Land: Miyawaki forests are designed to regenerate land in far less time. It takes over 70 years for a forest to recover on its own.
- Self Sustainable: The saplings become self-sustainable after the first three years.
- Environmental Benefits: These mini forests help lower temperatures in concrete heat islands, reduce air and noise pollution, attract local birds and insects, and create carbon sinks.
The impact of Miyawaki Forests:
The Miyawaki forest technique has been a savior to the cities. The forest serves as an oasis in the concrete jungles. The trees help to lower air temperature, improve air quality, increase groundwater and invite local biodiversity. The native trees provide habitat and food to local varieties of butterflies, birds, and mammals like squirrels. In various cities of the world, the Miyawaki technique has led to a movement of ecological regeneration. Previously degraded lands like dump yards and landfills have been given a new life.
We thanks to Ms Renu Madhok from ONGC Videsh to thought of the project under Azadi Ka Amrut Mahotsav (AKAM) and reach Mr. Madhukar Varshney (Founder – Rise Foundation).
Additional thanks to Principal maam and Mr. Sevaram – Estate Manager School to identify the suitable place and allow us to carry out the project. Special thanks to Mr. Malik -NCC Teacher and other teachers who mobilised the NCC Cadets and girls to become part of the project.
Gratitude to all Rise Foundation team mebers including Munish Kundra, Madhuri Rawat Varshney, Mr. Indrajeet, Sheela ji , Prashant and others. We must say that this project was one of the fastest project we ever had. After approval of project , we completed the project in 5 working days with all logistics.
With this project , we successfully completed 5 Miyawaki Afforestation projects covering 5300 Sq ft area with 1120 saplings in last 2 years in Delhi-NCR. We are committed to maintain these forest for next 3 years. If any one is interested to create Miyawaki Urban forest, please feel free to reach us at +91 9717764262 or mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
One thought on “ONGC Videsh is helping to Protect Environment by supporting Miyawaki Afforestation”
Very nice 👍 you initiative